(Can be done with any version).
Description: How to make fancy lines or ribbons across the page. I am well aware this can be done in a one step free hand using the path tool but for a person not to familiar with doing it it can be really hard. I thought I would write out how I do it.
Author: Rosalie Elmore
Skill Level: Beginner I assume you know where the tools are in
PhotoImpact. I would suggest that you take the free Beginners Workshop
to learn this program if you do not know how to use it very well.
work often. I suggest you read the entire tutorial, before you start.
|1. Open a new paper 600x600 pixels
white. My resolution is 200dpi.
It is easier to draw your lines all the way across the paper so double click on the top bar so that your paper is now
directly on your work surface.
2. Select your Path tool/ line and arrow. If it is
easier for you to use the Spline instead of the free hand line
then by all means use that one. Color I used is black, any color you can
see well will do for this. Set shape to free hand and Width at 2 and
3. Draw a wavy line from your left side of the paper to the right side and make sure it goes past the edges of your paper a little bit. Then draw a second one under it and somewhat follow the first one but not exactly.
You will have something like the screen shot above.
4. Deselect your last line. [Click enter key]
5. Select the Magic Wand Tool, use the settings shown in the screen shot. Click between the lines you drew.
[*I drew lines for the screenshots each time hence they are going to look different on these screenshots.]
6. Keep it selected just R/C /Expand Shrink and Expand 2 pixels.
7. R/C convert to object
8. Select all 3 objects, the 2 lines and the object between them and merge together as a single object. Keep it selected.
9. Edit/Trace Edges/Selection Marque use default and ok. This will change that object to a Path but the Mode shows Horizontal Deform change that to 2D. It will look something like mine.
You can see now that itís all one piece and a path object the ends are kind of funny. I just Edit it and straighten it out by deleting a couple of the points. If you like what you made save in your path objects in the EP. You can select it and draw this again any time you want it.
You can fill this and even change it to 3D if you need to. Use any fill glass pretty or a seamless tile. Have fun experimenting. You can flip the one you made to use it again. You can edit this one if you want to make it a different shape.
Have some fun and draw different ones and use them on graphic designs, scrapbook pages, or cards etc. Here are some examples of what I have made.
A graphic design...
A scrapbook page.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial as much as I enjoyed writing it. I would love to see what you do with your pretty ribbons.
Rosalie Elmore all rights reserved